Sunday, August 25, 2019

Thai Basil Pesto

So, while I'm on a pesto roll, I've got two huge Thai basil plants in my garden.  Thai basil has a great, anise-y smell that makes you crave a trip to Rearn Thai or similar.  This recipe is an oldie but a goodie - I haven't made it in awhile, but those plants were begging me to do something!  This recipe is from my friend Marlene, rockstar geologist and co-creator and coordinator of the Sustainable Food Systems major at Guilford College.  If you don't have overgrown Thai basil in your yard, it's easy to find at international markets like Super G.

Thai Basil Pesto
Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups Thai basil leaves, packed
  • 0.5 cups cilantro leaves, whole (get this at Super G too, so cheap!)
  • 0.5 cups peanut butter
  • 1 tbs fresh ginger root, grated
  • 3 cloves garlic coarsely chopped (from the CSA!)
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tsp chili garlic paste, more to taste (I subbed a habaƱero from the CSA basket)
  • 3 tbs lime juice
Directions
Put all the ingredients in a food processor, whiz it until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary.

This is good on noodles, grilled salmon or shrimp.  I've also made a pizza with it, using this pesto as the base and adding shrimp and mozzarella but I haven't made that in a long time!  Need to change that.

Some pics!

All the ingredients in the food processor (I doubled the recipe)

Started out with only 1/2 habanero, added the other half after tasting for heat...proceed cautiously!

Ready for the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment