Friday, May 29, 2020

Steak Noodles

I thought I had posted this before, but a search tells me no.  So there's not much with respect to pics, because I thought I'd already posted them.  The key ingredients here are 9-12 ounces of steak, a package of noodles and 3-4 cups of some kind of brassica.  I've used cabbage, broccoli slaw, and most recently, julienned kohlrabi.This is an adaptation of a Cooking Light recipe from 1998.  I've made it a million times, using, as I said broccoli slaw or cabbage (or kohlrabi) for the greens.  They quit making the noodles that are called for in the recipe, but I started using these and they work just fine, but I have to order them from Amazon. That's a bit problematic for me right now, but at least
Rudy gets a box to hang in.  Since I'm not using the original ramen noodles called for in the recipe, I make my own sauce, using 1/4 cup Memmi soup base diluted to 1.5 cups with water, a crushed garlic clove or 2, and some grated fresh ginger (keeps in your freezer oh so nicely) and a couple of tsp of siracha or gochuchang.

Steak Noodles (2 servings)
Ingredients:
  • 1 (10-12-ounce) rib-eye steak, sliced very thin
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3-4 cups shredded cabbage or kohlrabi
  • 1 package chuka soba noodles
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup memmi (You can find this a Super G)
  •  1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • grated ginger (1-2 tsp) 
  • hot sauce (1-2 tsp siracha or gochuchang)
Directions:
  • Heat a non-stick pan (I use a 5 qt dutch oven) over medium heat.  Add steak in  batches, browning lightly on both sides.  Remove from pan and reserve.
  • Add sesame oil to pan, followed by chopped onion, saute 3-5 minutes until translucent.
  • Add 0.25 cups memmi to a measuring cup, along with 1 tbs soy sauce, dilute to 1.5 cups.   Add grated ginger and hot sauce. 
  • Break up noodles and add to pan.  Add water/memmi/soy/hot sauce mixture.  Stir and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed. 
  • Once most of the liquid is absorbed, add greens (cabbage or kohlrabi) and saute a bit.  
  • Add reserved steak.  Stir about a bit and then plate up.

Some pics? Actually I only have one of this week's CSA, but it's pretty gorge:




 What's in it? 
1 lb salad mix
1 head oak leaf lettuce
1 bunch carrots
1 bunch mustard greens
1 kohlrabi (featured)
1 bunch collards
1 bunch salad turnips
1 bunch garlic scapes

Stay tuned for a week of salad...

No comments:

Post a Comment