Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Kale, kale, kale....

So one thing you definitely see in your CSA share every week it seems, is KALE.  Which I like, don't get me wrong, but I am still searching for more KDD's (Kale Delivery Dishes).  Last night I was all set to make this casserole again, but when I turned on the oven to pre-heat I got.... nothing.  We're doing some renovations on our house, and the contractor said that the electricians might not have turned everything back on.  Fortunately I've still got a little Girl Scout in me so I was able to light our gas cooktop with a match and carry on.  And it was a bit of a blessing in disguise, because I found this recipe for Pasta with Sausage and Kale from Fine Cooking that I like even better!  It's not that different from the casserole, but there was a subtle difference and one less dish to clean!  Note to self, next time I make this use a pot instead of the 12" saute pan - getting all that kale in there before it wilted down was a bit of a struggle.

In the pan before serving:

Covered with cheese!
I changed a couple of things about the recipe:
  1.  I wanted to feed 2, so I only used 6 oz of dry pasta (still had some left over)
  2.  Substituted one of the onions I got in the CSA for the shallot
  3.  Only used 1 tbs of olive oil
  4.  Used 8 oz of turkey Italian sausage
  5.  I deglazed the pan with about 1/2 cup white wine after cooking the onions and sausage.
  6.  MOAR KALE was added (Probably about 6-7 ounces of chopped kale- a salad spinner full, which is more than the full recipe called for
  7.  Added 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  8.  Probably used more parm than I should have at the end.
  9.  Forgot the lemon wedges.

2 comments:

  1. I have another simple, tasty kale/greens recipe for you:

    Greens in Coconut Milk

    1 Tbs-ish coconut or other oil
    one bunch of greens, cut up however seems good to you
    grated ginger
    Saute for a couple of minutes, then add:
    coconut milk
    cumin, coriander, salt and pepper (and a bit of curry powder if you are so moved)
    Cook for 5 minutes or until it looks ready to eat!

    I make it a bit saucy and eat it over rice. Really good with Asian marinated and grilled chicken thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy! Thanks Stacey!

    ReplyDelete