Sunday, May 22, 2022

Strawberry Shortcake

 I was out of town for a few weeks in April and May, and then my brain seemed like it was out of town for  few weeks after I got back.  Finally made it to the farmer's markets this week and one of the items I'd been most wanting was fresh strawberries.  Hadn't made it out to Rudd Farms yet, but the folks at Sugar Hill Produce hooked me up.  The berries we delicious out of hand, but I turned the rest of them them into some strawberry shortcake for today.  For my shortcake, I use Deb Perelman's version of Cream Biscuits adapted from James Beard.  They are super simple, and come together quickly.  I use the version with a bit of sugar and usually halve the recipe and get about 5 biscuits.  

Strawberry Shortcake:

  • 1 qt fresh strawberries
  • 1/2 batch Cream Biscuits (flour, heavy whipping cream, baking powder, butter, salt.  Buy 1 pint heavy whipping cream and use the rest - about 1.25 cups for whipped cream)
  • Sugar to taste

Components:

Wash strawberries, remove tops and slice thinly.  Toss sliced strawberries with 1 tbs of sugar (or to taste, but you need to use some to pull the liquid out).  Allow to macerate in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.

Make cream biscuits.

Whip remaining cream, sweetening lightly with 1 tbs sugar (or to taste).

Assemble

Split warm biscuits down the middle with a serrated knife (they are delicate!).  Put the bottom half on a small plate.  Please a large spoonful of berries and juice on top of the biscuit, followed by a large spoonful of whipped cream.  Place the top half of the bicuit on the whipped cream, add another large spoonful of strawberries followed by a spoonful of whipped cream.  Serve immediately. 

Enjoy:



No comments:

Post a Comment