Sunday, September 23, 2018

Roasted Eggplant and Sauteed Greens Lasagna

Fall's CSA last year was filled with eggplant, perhaps a little too much eggplant.  This year Nick is trying not to overwhelm us, but we are gauranteed two varieties (1 lb each) each week.  Last week it was a pound of "Casper", white, ghostly eggplants, and a pound of "Orient Charm" a long, thin, pink eggplant.  We also got one bunch of broccoli greens, which I've never had before but the note with the basket said we could saute them like collards.  So, I thought it would be a good time to make this Roasted Eggplant and Sauteed Greens Lasagne from Food52 that I discovered during last year's CSA eggplantapalooza (eggplantapocolypse? eggplantnado? I don't know,  but you get the idea).  The recipe suggests using a modified version of Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce, which I recall making last year (and it is delicious), but this time I didn't have the time so I just used a jar of Trader Giotto's Marinara I had in the pantry.  It was a little less than the quart required, so I added a can of chopped tomatoes with their juice (at the end, when I realized everything was a bit dry...would have been better to mix that in at the beginning.  I also used regular shredded mozzarella rather than fresh. 

So slice the eggplant, toss in some olive oil and spread on a sheet to roast at 450 for 20 min (the recipe fusses around with rotating pans but I ain't got time for that while I'm trying to make a different dinner at the same time)

(I might have sprayed them w/ a little olive oil spray before roasting.
Saute the chopped greens:
And then build the lasagna according to instructions (no photos).  Bake covered with foil for 40 min at 350°F.  Remove foil and back 5-10 minutes to brown.  I discovered last year that this freezes and reheats well:




No comments:

Post a Comment