Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Blueberry Barbecue Pizza (Flatbread)

Pizza..flatbread...pizza...flatbread.  What's the difference?  I reckon if something is called a "pizza" it should be vaguely Italian, which this was not.  What's used from the CSA?  Thinly sliced red onion and a chopped red Thai chili from last weeks' basket.

So, I've been working on a lot of Vivian Howard's recipes from Deep Run Roots.  Early this summer, I made her Blueberry Barbecue sauce, and I've used it on pork barbecue, as well as on grilled chicken or pork.  I've also used it as a flavoring for seltzer (like a "shrub").  I found a recipe online in which she used the Blueberry Barbecue sauce on a barbecued chicken flatbread:  Link to flatbread recipe

I love to make pizza, so this was super-intriguing.  Recently I had some leftover grilled pork tenderloin, and I had the sauce in the fridge and, believe it or not, some smoked gouda from some other recipe I can't recall the name of. But there it was, threatening to get moldy so let's use it up!  I used the recipe as a guide.  I substituted chopped grilled pork tenderloin for chicken, and used the red onion from the farm.  I didn't have jalepeƱos, but I did have some Thai red chilies from last week's basket and I used one of them.  I also used this pizza dough recipe: Link to pizza dough recipe.

I rolled out 12 oz of dough to make a flatbreat, and covered it with 4-5 tbs of Blue Barbecue sauce.  Then I put the chopped pork tenderloin (4 oz) on, and added 5 oz of the shredded smoked gouda.  I added about 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, and one chopped red Thai chile.

Before baking:
note: I start my pizzas on parchment - bake 5 min, then slide off the parchment onto the stone and bake 5 more min.  Much easier to get the raw pizza dough onto the stone.

After baking:
Ugly, but very, very tasty.






No comments:

Post a Comment