Saturday, May 19, 2018

A Royal Wedding and Salad Pizza

Hi y'all-
And y'all for real.  I got to spend the very early morning (up at 4am) watching the Royal Wedding live, and my favorite part was Bishop Michael Curry, who BROUGHT IT. And you should take a moment to watch his sermon, with tea or without. Nothing from the CSA ended up in our breakfast this morning, but it was delicious.
We had:
Sausage Rolls (made w/ PTB Sausage)
Scones  with homemade orange marmalade, strawberry jam and clotted cream (hard to find in the 'boro)
Tea Sandwiches with radish spread from Deep Run Roots and cucumber. (see post here for recipe, sandwiches on Pepperidge Farm Very Thin White Bread)
English Breakfast Tea (a proper brew).
All super tasty.


Cut to life after the wedding, folks that need to be fed and who are not as interested in the wedding...

Time for some pizza!

I made Mark Bittman's Pizza Dough from "How to Cook Everything" which is my favorite. This recipe is very similar, but I use 14 oz of flour (see measuring with weights rant earlier). 

This is a "salad pizza" meaning that after you pull out of the oven, you douse it salad greens.  It's very tasty and makes you feel better about eating a pizza.

The base for the pizza is an arugula pesto that I make using the Spicy Salad Mix from the Guilford College Farm (it's very spicy, and has a lot of arugula in it).  I use this recipe - changes I make are using 1/4 cup of oil instead of 1/3 cup, and I sub toasted pine nuts for the walnuts.  I whirled some up this afternoon, but I got no pics.  I freeze it in a ice cube tray so I can pull it out all winter.

Pizza:
Rolling out the pizza and covering w/ about 1/4 cup of arugula pesto, prosciutto and mozzarella:



Note: I put the pizza on parchment paper, it makes getting in pizza onto the stone in the oven SO MUCH EASIER!  Then after 5 minutes I take it out so the pizza can crisp up ( you can also make this pizza on the grill, that post will come later this summer!) The pizza cooks for a total of 10 minutes at 500°, so 5 minutes with the parchment, and then 5 minutes without.

When it comes out, cover it up with spicy salad:

Then cut it up and eat!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment