Thursday, May 31, 2018

Week 4...in which I make excuses...

Yikes!  I got behind. Well, I basically was eating a bunch of salads so nothing super interesting was happening in the kitchen.  I also put lettuce on some sandwiches. What can I say, I'm just wildly creative.  I realized tonight that I hadn't even taken a beauty shot of the week 4 box.  [hangs head in shame].  Here's what was in it:

  • 1 crown broccoli
  • 1 crown cauliflower
  • 1 head cabbage
  • 1 bunch beets
  • 1 pound salad mix
  • 1 pound kale
  • 1 pound collards
  • 1 bunch onions
  • 1"zippy" onion flower garnish 
  • not listed in note: small bag of peas in the shell
So, catching up, did I make anything interesting last week?
Well, I made another pretty salad:


It's pork tenderloin in the same salad I posted here. Same marinade too.  Tasty.

I also roasted some veggies - we got a head of cauliflower in the box this week.  I didn't look exactly like the cauliflower you see in the store - Nick explained in his note that it was slightly yellow and more spread out b/c they don't rubber band the leaves over the crown to keep the sun off. It was still tasty though...I cut it up and threw it in the salad spinner to wash it off:

By the way - if you're in a CSA and you don't own a salad spinner, you should go out and get one now (really...get online  now, here's a link).  It's the fastest way to wash and dry veggies.  Let me edit that - do you eat veggies and/or salad?  Get a damn spinner!  Fortunately the Guilford College farm washes all the bagged salad greens before we get them - I think they give the rest of the produce a rinse  but I like to wash it.  Anyway, after washing and drying I added a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper and spread it out on a baking sheet.  Roasted it a 425°F for 25 minutes and it looks like this:

Nicely tender and crunchy all at the same time.  I served it with some grilled chicken thighs I had made using the rub from this recipe for Pulled Chicken from Cooking Light.  I never make the whole recipe, I just make the rub from the first part and use it on grilled chicken.  I usually melt some swiss, mozzarella or provelone on the chicken and use it in an sandwich, but this time I skipped the bread and served it on some salad greens (because I might still have some from last week).
Yummy.  Only a few more greens to go....(oh, and the beets....they are still waiting for their moment.  But we got them.).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment