Monday, May 14, 2018



Yesterday was Mother's Day, and I made one recipe to use up the last vegetable in the box, that bunch of kale.  I'm late to the game of kale salads, but I've had at least one I've liked so I thought it would be worth a try.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the recipe for that one so I relied on the internet.  With a name like "Addictive Raw Kale Salad with Crispy Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese" what could go wrong?  Well, firstly I wanted it as a side, so I didn't include prosciutto and a cut back on the parm a bit.  I also cut back on the oil by a tablespoon.  It takes a big pile of kale and makes it into a little pile of kale:


The results looked nice and tasted ok, maybe a little too much acid (note toasted pine nut garnish):
But I wouldn't say it's addictive, so maybe the title oversold a little. Or maybe the addictive part is the prosciutto and cheese.

Today I needed to use up the rest of the spinach (about 3-4 ounces?), so I made a quick frittata, a great way to use up stuff in your crisper.  This recipe is loosely adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home.   Serves 1.
Ingredients:
3-4 oz spinach, washed w/ some water still clinging to the leaves
roughly 2/3 cup sauteed peppers and onions left over from dinner Friday
1 clove garlic, minced
1 slice prosciutto, sliced into ribbons
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1 oz (1/4 cup) 6 cheese Italian blend
1/2 tsp olive oil

Heat the olive oil in a 10" nonstick pan over medium high heat.  Turn on broiler and adjust rack to the closest position.  Add the garlic to the pan and allow to sizzle until you can smell it.  Add the spinach and cook 2-3 minutes until it has wilted.  Add in the cooked peppers and onions and the prosciutto and stir things around until they are heated through. Spread the vegetable mixture evenly in the pan.  Beat egg and egg white together and season with salt and pepper.  Reduce heat to low, and pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and tilt the pan to spread it around evenly.  Sprinkle with cheese and cover and cook for 2 minutes.  Remove the cover and put the pan under the broiler until the cheese is browned.  Remove frittata to plate with spatula. Eat lunch.
spinach before wilting


after adding the egg to the pan


after broiling


Let's recap, given the pickup for this week's box is tomorrow:
  • 1 bunch swiss chard
  • 1 bunch kale still some of the "addictive" salad in the fridge
  • 1 pound salad mix (mixed lettuces)
  • 1 bunch spring onions used 1 to make dressing, the rest will keep.
  • 1 bunch radishes
  • 1/2 pound spinach
  • 1/2 pound mustard greens
  • 1 bunch mint used about half for pesto, have been putting it in my water, but still have a bit left over.  It's in a glass with water and starting to root, so I might put it in a pot outside.
Not too shabby.  We'll see what tomorrow's box brings! (Spoiler alert: there will be greens!)



No comments:

Post a Comment