Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Week 3 - the beets

Ack!  Keeping up with this blogging thing is a challenge.  I feel like I've done a lot of really boring stuff with the box this past week, for example - I made a salad with all the greens or I put x in a fritatta.  So, sorry for being boring.  But, I missed one recipe last week that I really enjoy and want to catch folks up on, and also let you know what we got in week 3 and  cool recipe that used up a ton of greens.

Week 3 box:
1.5 lbs broccoli
1 bunch garlic scapes
1 bunch mustard greens
1 bunch turnips
1 lb salad mix (may be spicy? not sure yet)
1 head cabbage
1 bunch swiss chard
1 head lettuce (looks like green leaf lettuce)
1 bunch beets

Gorgeous photo:


Once again, the beets and turnips come with the greens attached which I saved and added to the greens from last week I haven't done anything with yet. No pressure.

So the recipe I made last week that's awesome .... from Skinnytaste https://www.skinnytaste.com/asian-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

Couple of things I change up - I usually put in more water chestnuts (because you might as well use the whole can) and more shitake mushrooms (b/c they are tasty).  I also sub in a tsp or so of gochuchang for the pepper in the main recipe and the Siracha in the sauce.  If you've never had gochuchang it's a great ingredient to get to know, spicy and sweet and keeps forever in the fridge.  The other thing I change is to serve it on a bed of chopped lettuce rather than a wrap (b/c they just fall apart and are hard to eat).  Didn't take a pic of assembly, but here's the final product:

oh.  So I didn't take a picture.  Imagine if you will, a mixture of sauteed chicken, water chestnuts, and shitakes on top of some gorgeous green salad.  With rice.  Not beautiful but delicious.  Next time (because I'll make it again before this challenge is over) I'll remember to take a  pic.

Last night I made a recipe called "Garden Greens Pasta" http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/garden-greens-pasta but I made a few changes.

  1.  I used spinach  (last week's box, yay!) as well as changing up the second green, kale, for chard since surprisingly, there was NO KALE in this week's box (I know, right?).
  2.   I subbed 2 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts for the walnuts
  3.   I added some parmesan (about 2 ounces) because the recipe seemed to be screaming for it. 
  4.   I only used 1 tbs of olive oil because 3 seemed like A LOT. 
  5.   I used penne instead of spaghetti  
Here's my mise en place. I subbed garlic scapes for some of the garlic.
Once again not to many photos of the process, but here's the finished dish (minus the cheese for once!)
The verdict?  Pretty tasty, but the greens give my teeth that furry feeling that tells me they are underdone (to my taste). I'll cook them longer next time.  And the pine nuts and cheese were an excellent addition.

Oh, and the title of this post - well this week plus last week?  We've got the beets.


5 comments:

  1. I, for one, am loving this blog. Lots of great ideas. I love the game where you have a bunch of food and have to figure out how to use it! You are a master at that sort of thing.
    BTW, I have a good beet pasta recipe if you're interested. You grate the beets and saute with onion, add spaghetti, goat cheese, toasted walnuts and a splash of lemon. The cheese can get grainy so I've also done a quick Bechamel as a base for the cheese. I'll text a pic of the actual recipe if you're interested. Just let me know. And keep those posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please send. So.Many.Beets. I love them roasted in salads but I am looking for new ways to use them!

      Delete
  2. From the "Unknown" poster above: This is Stacey. I am clearly inept at this interwebs thing. I am somehow logged on under my Mom's email address and have it set up to comment anonymously. Tricksy, right? I'll work on fixing it for any future comments. #Ihaveadegree...inScience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. STACEY I LOVE YOU YOU COMMENTED ON MY BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I will keep posting, I just got a little behind this week.

      Delete