Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day!  Today we'll be having my mother-in-law over for lunch, so we'll finish off the last few salad greens.  I still had the spinach, chard and kale staring at me - so yesterday I was able to transform one for a use to be determined and make dinner with another.  The kale remains...

I did not take any pictures while making this Spinach and Mint Pesto from a cutely named blog called "Pip and Little Blue", and I should have taken the picture of the finished product right after - I think it darkened a bit in the fridge overnight.

Tasting it just now- it still tastes good, but not as good as yesterday.   It's also not as minty as I hoped, I think I'll up the mint next time I make it.  I dropped it into the freezer until I can think of something to do with it.  I was hoping it would go well with lamb - but we'll see.

The recipe was from a UK blog which was nice because most of the measurements were in grams, rather than cups and spoons.  Minor rant here: cup and spoon (volume) measurements are horrible! Not only do you have to wash all the cups and spoons, you have to struggle with getting sticky things like peanut butter and honey out of them.  Why do that when you can just add an ingredient, tare (zero) the scale and then add the next ingredient?  Also, cups can be wildly inaccurate for measuring ingredients like flour. Finally, using weight instead of volume makes scaling recipes up or down so much easier.  So, do yourself a favor and go out right now and buy a digital scale for the kitchen.  I use this one but there are lots of good ones out there.  Rant over.

Back to the box - dinner last night was Swiss Chard and Turkey Sausage over Polenta, which I made with rainbow chard and chicken sausage because I'm a rebel.  It came out very tasty, and checked another CSA item off.

First I had to give the chard a bit of a soak in cold water b/c it had wilted (rainbow chard is so pretty!):


Then get it chopped up:
Once chopped, it got sauteed, and then I added the sausage I'd already cooked (the recipe said to slice it into "coins" but that didn't work well so I just crumbled it. Then put the sausage/chard mixture onto the polenta, and sprinkled with parmesan and pine nuts.

Hmmm...maybe I should start taking pictures before I cover things up with cheese?



No comments:

Post a Comment