Tuesday, September 18, 2018

The arrival of a new CSA

So....usually when I get the CSA I try to post a beauty shot of all its gorgeousness.  I did not this week.  To be honest, I'm still trying to catch up from last week.  So this post will be an homage to catching up.

But this is all about catching up... remember this summer, when I said "we've got the beets" and I promised I would discuss what I was doing with them?  Ok, what I'd been doing with is putting them in the crisper and waiting for another day.  Fortunately beets can take that kind of abuse.  They can wait around FOREVER.  Finally, I have made some beet hummus.
Step 1: Roast your beets
I used this recipe from Food 52 that has been a go to when I have beets: The best way to cook beets.

Then, when I've got them cooked, I either eat them in salads, or try this crazy thing from simply recipes.  First I roasted the beets, and then I made the beet hummus.

Here's what the beets look just after they are done roasting:


And then you cube them  up and put them in the food processor with the tahini, lemon juice, zest, cumin, salt and pepper:
And blitz it:
Viola! Pink and delicious.  I have to admit, I only put 2 tsp of cumin in (rather than a tablespoon), and 4 tbs of lemon juice (rather than 5).  But it was tasty!!!


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! I might try it, but I'm trying to avoid sesame seeds right now. How do you think the flavor of sunflower butter or almond butter would be instead of tahini?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be worth a try. I will say, cut back on the cumin for sure. If I made it again I'd probably use 1 tsp, max. I can't believe the recipe called for a tablespoon!

      Delete