Thursday, October 11, 2018

Blackeyed Pea Posole with Pork and Collard Greens

This is one of my favorite recipes for collard greens.  It's a great, hearty soup that uses lots of greens.  This is from Cooking Light (RIP) and I make a few substitutions.

 As printed:
  • 1 poblano pepper (I sub a can of roasted green chiles -that is, unless there is a poblano in the CSA box)
  • 3/4 lb boneless pork shoulder (also called country style ribs) cut into 1-1/2 inch chunks (I usually try to use 1 lb of bone in)
  • 3 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth (I usually use 2 cans of chicken broth)
  • 4 cups loosely packed bagged, prewashed, chopped collard greens (OBVS I subbed collard greens from the farm)
  • 1 cup chopped red onion (ooh, I had one of those from the farm, also a yellow onion)
  • 1 cup chopped tomatillos
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (if you hate cilantro, I bet you could leave this out)
  • 2 tsp finely chopped jalepeño pepper (I used chopped Thai chiles from the CSA box)
  • 1/2 tsp oregano (preferably Mexican)
  • 2 garlic cloves chopped (I have SO MUCH GARLIC from the farm right now).
  • 1 15 oz can of black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
  • salt
  • pepper

If you're using a poblano, roast in according to the directions.  Otherwise just get going w/ a can of chopped green chiles is just fine!

Heat a 5qt dutch oven over medium heat.  Add 1-2 tsp olive oil.  Add  pork, and cook for 4-8 minutes until browned.

Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the pan, and stir to scrape up browned bits.

Stir in remaining 2 cups broth,  canned chiles, greens, and next six ingredients (through garlic).  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 min or until pork is tender.  Stir in peas, salt and pepper, simmer 5 minutes until heated through.

This freezes well.  Also, once you've got the pork browned and deglazed the pan with broth, you can just chop and dump stuff in the pan.  I bet you could do this in a crockpot for 4-6 hours or so on high (until the pork was tender), then add the peas and heat through.

A few pics:
Browning the pork:
I had at least half a red onion left over from a previous CSA as well a yellow onion...

No poblano in the CSA - and these are easy and nice - just drain them!

Throw in the chopped collard greens:
 Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 40 min, add the drained and rinsed blackeyed peas and it dinnertime!

3 comments:

  1. Beans, greens, chiles, pork... this is right up my alley! I will definitely be trying this one soon. I just bought some of the last tomatillos of the season at Farmers Market today. I think I might roast and freeze them. That should work, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure - it would probably add an extra layer of flavor - the tomatillos pretty much fall apart in the soup, so you could probably even chop and freeze them raw if you like.

      Delete
  2. Here's another good tomatillo recipe that Kathy and I discovered when we planted a couple of tomatillos one summer in Oregon and had more than we knew what to do with! https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-chili-0

    ReplyDelete