Sunday, October 14, 2018

Broccoli Melts

We had a pound of broccoli in this week's box, and I've been looking for other ways to use it beyond steaming and roasting. I came across this recipe for Broccoli Melts from Smitten Kitchen, and I thought it looked like it had potential.  It also looked pretty easy, though it would be better if I read the directions more carefully before starting. What do I mean by that?  Well, it's nice if you realize you need three garlic cloves chopped and ready to go before you start heating the oil to sauté the broccoli.  Stuff like that happened to me a couple of times when making this.

First you make a steamed/sauteed chopped broccoli mixture she calls "Broccoli Rubble".  I used a little less olive oil in the sauté, and also I didn't have any romano cheese so I used parmesan instead. For the melts, I used bread from Cheesecakes by Alex, which is located in downtown Greensboro.  If you're confused by that, head down to the Greensboro Farmers Curb Market and on Saturdays they have a booth with no cheesecake (that's all at the store downtown) but they do have lots of delicious baked goods, including loves of Italian bread made with semolina flour that are delicious. This bread also make great avocado toast and BLT's.

Didn't take any pics while I was cooking it (there are plenty at the Smitten Kitchen site!),  But I did take a picture of the final product:
And it was great!  I'll make this again with the rest of the sauteed broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment