Thursday, July 5, 2018

A couple of side dishes...new and old

So, yesterday I made two side dishes I really like, one I just discovered, and one I've been making for years.  We had friends over for the 4th, and I made brats on the grill and a variety of sides. 

First, I had a purple cabbage that's been kicking around in the fridge for a few weeks (week 5, she says apologetically).  I found this really simple and really delicious recipe from the "Simply Recipes" blog for Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage.  It came together very quickly!

Pretty wedge of cabbage:

Slice cabbage ready to be sauteed:

Finished cabbage - oops forgot to take a photo!!  But it was delicious.

The other side dish I made was a classic Squash Casserole.  This is one I've adapted from a local blog called Slowly She Turned.  Unfortunately I can't find the original post, so I've copied the recipe below.  You can add a little more squash and onions, change up the cheeses or add different vegetables, it's  a pretty flexible way to turn vegetables into a casserole.

Squash Casserole
3 1/2 cups chopped summer squash (any kind!)
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
2 tsp olive oil
2 tbs flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk (I use 2%)
1 cup (4 oz) cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup (1 oz) parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1 cup bread crumbs (I usually just whiz anything I've got kicking around in the freezer in the food processor).

I double this for a 13x9" casserole dish, so I find this recipe fits in an 8x8" square casserole.

Preheat oven to 350°F
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saute pan.  Saute the onion and squash for about 10 minute until tender.  Add salt and pepper to taste while cooking.  Cool to room temperature.  Combine squash and onions in a large bowl with the eggs, flour, milk, 1/2 cup (2 oz) cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup bread crumbs.  Put the mixture into a casserole dish sprayed with olive oil.  Mix together the rest of the cheeses (cheddar and parmesan) and the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the casserole.  Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

I'll take a pic next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment