Saturday, July 14, 2018

When recipes go wrong...

So last week we had some friends over for dinner, and I asked them to pick up some blueberries at the farmer's market because I was going to make some cobbler for dessert.  We ended up with too much food for dinner and not enough desire for dessert, so I had blueberries in my fridge and needed to do something with them.  After considering many possibilities, this recipe for Blueberry Snack Cake with Pecan Topping from Food52 caught my eye  - in part because it looked delicious, but also because I had everything, from blueberries to lemons to pecans, on hand.

Everything went swimmingly until it was time to bake.  I had measured out all the dry ingredients and mixed them together as instructed.  The butter and sugar had been creamed together and all the eggs and flavorings added, the oven pre-heated, the pan prepared.  I folded in the blueberries, scraped the batter into the pan and sprinkled the top with sugar and chopped pecans and slipped into the oven and turned to the several other tasks going on in the kitchen.

About 10 minutes into baking, I was looking for something on the other side of the island in kitchen and realized what I had left out of the cake.  There was the bowl, sitting on the counter -what did it contain?  The flour. The salt. The cornmeal. The baking powder.  Basically pretty much half the cake. No wonder the batter going into the oven had tasted so smooth and delicious.

Panicking, I thought "what do I do?  Dump the whole thing out?"  I didn't want to do that, so I pulled the rapidly melting puddle of butter, eggs, sugar, blueberries and pecans out of the oven. I dumped the dry ingredients into the pan, and mixed it all together until it looked like a batter and then put it back into the oven for 40 min. 

The result?  Not bad. Very edible.  Tasty even. No roasted pecan topping, but overall pretty good.

No CSA items in this post.  The moral though?  Don't give up.  Don't ever give up. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment