Thursday, July 5, 2018

Tap, tap...is this thing still on?

Well.  Been at a conference for a week, 4th of July holiday, all that.  Week 8 of the CSA went to my friends Erin and Kyle, since I left town the morning after pickup for a conference.  Here's this weeks' (week 9) bounty:

We have (don't have amounts since I can't find the lovely note that was included!):
  • Slicing tomatoes
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Multicolor and shaped carrots
  • Purple (and a few other color) potatoes
  • Tomatillos
  • Squash (various summer)
  • Okra
  • and....the the return of the kale! (baby kale this time)
  • oops - edited to add the boquet of chard:

I have a lot of catch up posts to make, and in the spirit of that I'll post something I made yesterday with some of the produce I needed to catch up on, specifically the carrots.  There's been carrots in the last several boxes, and I decided to make some pickled carrot slices based on this recipe from David Lebowitz's blog (which is great recipe blog, including the recipe for the best sticky toffee pudding ever)

Sliced up and simmered some carrots in salted water for about 30 sec (DL recipe called for simmering carrot sticks for 1 min), then dumped them in a colander and rinsed with cold water.




I made the brine (didn't have the spices needed besides garlic and bay so I added a few chili flakes- could have added more!):
Dropped the carrot slices into the brine stirred, and let it cool to room temp on the stove:
Put into a mason jar and chill in the fridge.  Very pretty!


more to come...I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment