Saturday, July 7, 2018

Tomatillo salsa

One of the items in the basket this week was tomatillos, so I decided to make a tomatillo salsa.  I know it seems like I get most of my recipes online, and while I think it's more common that it used to be, I also have more cookbooks than I should!  I'm trying to keep a steady state, meaning if I can't give a cookbook away, I won't get a new one.  That works most of the time, but I have a weakness for Rick Bayless's cookbooks.  He probably has a version of this recipe in every one of his books, but I used the one from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen.  Here's Rick in all his mid-90's realness:
The recipe is on p 42 for "Essential Roasted Tomatillo Serrano Salsa" (I had to use a jalapeño).
Ingredients:
1 lb tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 jalapeño (about 1 ounce)
1 small white onion, finely chopped (I used about 1/2 cup of chopped onion from the week 7 box)
2 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/4 cup loosely packed, roughly chopped cilantro
about 1 tsp salt
Sugar, if needed (about 1 tsp and I didn't need it.

Directions
  1. Put the chopped onion in a small bowl and cover with water.
  2. Put the tomatillos on a baking sheet and roast about 4" from the broiler for about 5 min, then flip and roast 5 min more.  Allow to cool completely on the she.
  3. Toast the chiles and garlic on a comal or cast iron pan over medium heat, turning them occasionally until they are blackened in spots and soft.  Cool, peel garlik and pull the stem out of the chiles.
  4. Put the cooled tomatillos (and any juices) into a blender along with the garlic and chiles.  Pulse until it is pureed to your liking (I don't like it too smooth).  Scrape into a serving bowl
  5.  Strain the onion out of the water, rinse with cold water. 
  6. Stir the onion and the chopped cilantro into the puree.
  7. Serve!
This is good with tortilla chips, of course.  We had it with some chicken soft tacos I'd made by grilling some chicken thighs marinated in Goya Naranja Agria (as described here).  We also had avocado and queso fresco.
Here are the rinsed tomatillos:
I think they get a little purple if they get exposed to the sun.  After roasting:
Blackening the garlic and jalapeño:
The final product:




No comments:

Post a Comment