Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Week 10 and Oven Roasted Tomatoes

I'm pretty sure it's week 10!  Here's this weeks box:
What have we got?
  • 1 lb heirloom tomatoes (for me this week that's the giant yellow/red one in the upper right)
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes
  • 2 lbs red, white and blue potatoes
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1/3 lb specialty peppers 
  • 3 hot peppers (two serranos and one reddish one)
  • 1 lb paste tomatoes
  • 1 lb squash/zuchinni
  • 1/2 lb okra
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 2 lbs tomatillos 
  • 1 bunch basil
It's starting to be tomato time for the CSA, and while I love tomatoes, I'm kind of picky about which ones I like to eat raw.  I like the Sungold and Black Cherry varieties of cherry tomatoes, and my favorite slicing tomatoes are Cherokee Purples.  Week 9 we got 1.5 lbs of tomatoes that included one I sliced and the rest were these larger "paste" tomatoes that were pretty firm:

My favorite thing to do with these tomatoes is to roast them slowly.  I use this recipe for Oven-Roasted Tomatoes from David Lebovitz's blog (I mentioned earlier it's one of my favorites for recipes).

I crowd my tomatoes a bit more than he does:

Here's what they look like when they come out.

I wrote this part of the post this past Saturday, when I wasn't too hungry for dinner because of lunch at Bites and Pints (yummy!), so had a little bread and tomatoes and wine for dinner:
I toasted some sliced whole wheat baguette (sprayed with a little olive oil)  spread it with a little Goat Lady Dairy plain goat cheese and smashed some roasted tomatoes on top.

These roasted tomatoes freeze very well, and will also keep for several days in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I'll give it a try once the tomatoes come on around here. I was looking at the recipe, and he says you can also use basil. I love tomatoes and basil, but I usually use it fresh or only lightly cooked. Have you tried roasting with basil? Does it really work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes-I have used basil but it's definitely not the same after a couple of hours in the oven as it is fresh. I think the herbs (other than garlic!) are the least important part of the recipe - it's the roasting of the tomatoes that gives most of the flavor. Today I had a similar snack for lunch and sprinkled some chopped fresh basil on top. Very nice! I've also used them to make a pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete