Saturday, July 25, 2020

Pizza and greens

Pizza with greens is one of they ways I use up the avalanche of greens that hit us in the spring in the CSA.  I make "salad pizza", Kale Pizza and Spinach Pizza pretty regularly in those early weeks of the CSA.  As the greens slow down in the heat of the summer to make way for squash, tomatoes, eggplant, okra and peppers, I don't make it as much, or make pizza with other toppings from the CSA.  But hands down, I really think that pizza is one of the best ways to turn a mountain of greens into something delicious (pasta is a close second).  This week I was surprised w/a bunch of rainbow chard in the box, and while I've got a go-to pasta I make with chard, I wondered if I could give it the pizza treatment. It turned out pretty well! The only downside compared to the recipes linked above is that I had to cook the chard for a bit before it went on the pizza, so, pans to wash.  I might try this with bacon instead of pancetta next time chard appears in my box.  For the dough I use a recipe from Mark Bittmann that comes together fast in the food processor and freezes well.  I've recently adapted it to use a sourdough starter rather than yeast, in light of the fact that I haven't seen yeast at my local Harris Teeter since March!  I'll post that later, but until then both Trader Joes and Harris Teeter will happily sell you a ball of pizza dough, andthose also freeze well.

Chard Pizza (adapted from this recipe for White Pizza with Chard and Caramelized Onions, plus all the other pizza recipes linked above!)

Ingredients
  • 1 ball pizza dough (12-16 oz Note: My recipe makes 2 12-oz balls, what you buy at the store is usually 1 lb)
  • 4 oz pancetta, chopped
  • 1 bunch rainbow or swiss chard, stems cut off and discard and leaves roughly chopped ( usually roll up a few and cut them crosswise into strips about 1" wide)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 onion, cut in half through the root and thinly sliced crosswise
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced thin
  • 1-2 tbs olive oil 
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 3 oz shredded gruyere 
  • 2 oz shredded mozzarella (you could sub all mozzarella if you don't have gruyere)  
Directions 
  • Preheat oven to 500°F (preferably with pizza stone, if you don't have one you could use a baking sheet, adjust cooking time as necessary)
  • Heat a 10-12" skillet over medium heat, add chopped pancetta and 1/2 cup water.  As the water heats it will help render some of the fat out of the pancetta, and then as the water evaporates the pancetta can continue to crisp up in the rendered fat. Once the pancetta is lightly browned, remove it from the pan and drain on a paper towel, leaving the fat in the skillet.
  • Drain all but 1-2 tsp fat from the pan (reserve the rest), add chard and minced garlic and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until wilted, remove from pan.
  • Add 1-2 tsp reserved fat (or olive oil) to the pan, add sliced onions, reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 20-25 minutes until onions are tender and caramelized (Note: if all the moisture evaporates and the onions start to stick or burn, you can add a little water).
  • Place sliced garlic in a small microwave safe bowl, add 2 tbs of olive oil and microwave for 30 seconds.
  • Roll out pizza dough into a circle, place on parchment paper on top of pizza peel.
  • Brush pizza dough with garlic oil (you don't need to use all of it!), fish out pieces of garlic from the oil and sprinkle them over the dough.  Sprinkle the red pepper flakes over the dough.
  • Spread cheeses evenly over dough
  • Spread 1/2 crisped pancetta over dough (you could use all of it, this was just all I wanted)
  • Spread cooked chard over dough, then onions.
  • Slide pizza w/ parchment onto pizza stone.  Bake 5 minutes.
  • Remove parchment paper (pizza will now be sitting directly on stone).  Bake another 5-7 minutes until crust is lightly browned.
  • Slice and eat!
Some pics!
The chard:


So, ok, I'm terrible at taking photos while cooking, but at least I remembered the final product:





No comments:

Post a Comment